lunes, 26 de septiembre de 2011

Impress but calm me.

First impressions can be tough but when you meet the right person, you just know it. It can be a friend, a boyfriend or just someone you met. A first impression can determine whether you get a job or not and for superficial people, whether you’ll like someone or not. The impressive thing about first impressions is that it can make the hugest impact in your life, so big that you remember that time like if it was yesterday. If you base a relationship on a first impression you are likely to begin a superficial relationship were you only base your feelings on a look. But there are sometimes when a first impression is so unique and unexpected, that your relationship surges from the desire to know that person because of the interesting aspect he or she has.
I never really pay much attention to how people look. Maybe when I am walking down the street, or passing by someone who makes me raise my view or distract from my thoughts; I would say things such as: ‘he’s very handsome’ or ‘hey! She looks very pretty!” But just a look is not enough for a first impression. According to the dictionary, a first impression is a first consideration or judgment. For me it takes a first look, followed by a first word exchange and then a lapse of time to consider my thoughts about that person.
                I do not intend to give a lecture about first impressions, but this was necessary so you would understand how first impressions are from my point of view. I’ve experienced a handful of memorable first impressions, some funny, some awkward and some annoying ones. But just one that comforted me. It happened on the fall of 2009.
                It happened on a Sunday. I went on an exchange program that year and that day I was meeting my host family from Nashville, Tennessee. My host family was out on a trip in Hawaii when I arrived, so I spent Saturday and part of Sunday with the exchange program’s leader and a friend. We arrived late on Saturday to Nashville. My friend and I waited for everyone to leave with their host families and saw how everyone hugged and talked with their host families. The exchange program’s leader was happily introducing everyone and we just watched, taking care of our backpacks.
                After what seemed an eternity, everyone left and we were ready to leave to the hotel. We spent the night talking and eating. The next day, we decided to go to the mall and do a little shopping. We had a lot of fun and the hours passed by as rapid as a fly. By four in the afternoon we returned to the hotel. My friend’s host family arrived earlier. The realization that my host family was going to arrive very soon, made me as nervous as a little Chihuahua.
                I saw how my friend struggled to talk in a different language and how the nerves consumed him. I knew that would happen to me and that I would not be able to talk to my host family without making a joke out of myself. A lot of thoughts went through my mind, those thoughts that you have just before talking in public or performing in a show.  Why if they didn’t like me? What if they didn’t understand me?
                Suddenly, a tiny, blond haired, cute little boy pushed the big glass door at the hotel’s entrance. He was wearing a white sweatshirt, tiny jeans and a pair of small shoes. I did not know who he was. I just felt very happy and strangely calmed. I saw the little kid and smiled. He just stared at me as seriously as possible. Then, I saw a tall, blond woman with a big gorgeous smile. At first I thought they were just tourists, but then I realized they were my host family; at least a part of it.
                The nerves were gone. The bad thoughts were gone. And I knew those were the people I was meant to stay with because they calm me and made me happy. When I talked with the little kid’s mother, the conversation was natural and fluent. She was not only smart and beautiful, but kind and original. The first impression from my host mother was that I was going to have an amazing time with her and that I really had found a new friend.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario